Queen's Royal College, Trinidad

Thumbnail Image




Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


The Bonanza, Smith Bros and Co., Trinidad


Early exterior view of the Queen’s Royal College (QRC) in Port of Spain, Trinidad, highlighting the school's tower, tall windows, and the monolithic, concrete columns at its entrance. QRC was opened on March 25, 1904 at Queen's Park West by Governor Sir Alfred Maloney. The building was designed by Daniel M. Hahn, qualified architect and chief draughtsman in the Department of Public Works, who was a past student of the college. The late architect John Newel Lewis described the architecture of QRC as "a pastiche of Renaissance and Venetian details." A clock presented to the school in 1913 by William Gordon was added to the tower after this photograph was taken. The origin of QRC goes back to the Stuart Grammar School, at the corner of Duke and Edward Street. In 1870, the school became the Queen's Royal College and was housed at the Prince's Building, at the top of Frederick Street (now the home of the National Academy for the Performing Arts). When the Government Farm moved from St. Clair in 1899, part of the land was reserved as a new home for QRC through the intervention of acting Governor Sir Courtney Knollys (adapted from http://qrc.edu/about).


Colour: Brown, Blue, Grey and White; Style: Landscape; Other: Unbordered, Divided.
Funding for this project has been provided by Mrs. Irma E. Goldstraw.

Table of Contents


Trinidad and Tobago, Postcards, [1907], Cities and towns--Trinidad and Tobago--Port of Spain, Historic buildings--Trinidad and Tobago, Schools--Trinidad and Tobago, High schools--Trinidad and Tobago, Public schools--Trinidad and Tobago, Education, Secondary--Trinidad and Tobago, Architecture--Trinidad and Tobago, Architecture--Details, Towers--Trinidad and Tobago, Windows--Trinidad and Tobago, Columns, Concrete--Trinidad and Tobago, Capitals (Architecture)--Trinidad and Tobago