Entrance to Botanical Gardens, St. Lucia
The Main Library, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados is responsible for making this digital resource available.
The Botanical Gardens of St. Lucia are also known as the Diamond Botanical Gardens. It is located at the foot of the Pitons near the town of Soufrière on the west coast of the island. It is part of the Soufrière estate which consists of 2,000 acres of land. The estate was presented by King Louis XIV in 1713 to three Devaux brothers from Normandy in recognition of their services to France. The postcard depicts the entrance of the gardens in the colonial period. Two male visitors to the gardens are in formal dress at the entrance. Outside the gate there are three women, one with a parcel on her head.
Landscape; black and white
Table of Contents
Botanical gardens, Clothing and dress, Women, Lifting and carrying, Men, Postcards, Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens