Queen's Royal College, Trinidad

Show simple item record

dc.date.accessioned 2010-05-11T12:52:23Z
dc.date.available 2010-05-11T12:52:23Z
dc.date.issued 2010-05-11T12:52:23Z
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2139/7138
dc.description Colour: Black and White ; Style: Landscape ; Other: Unbordered, Divided. en
dc.description.abstract Early, exterior, front view of the Queen’s Royal College (QRC) in Port of Spain, Trinidad, highlighting the school's tower, tall windows, and the monolithic, concrete columns at its entrance. QRC was opened on March 25, 1904 at Queen's Park West by Governor Sir Alfred Maloney. The building was designed by Daniel M. Hahn, qualified architect and chief draughtsman in the Department of Public Works, who was a past student of the college. The late architect John Newel Lewis described the architecture of QRC as "a pastiche of Renaissance and Venetian details." the clock in the clock tower was presented to the school in 1913 by William Gordon. The origin of QRC goes back to the Stuart Grammar School, at the corner of Duke and Edward Street. In 1870, the school became the Queen's Royal College and was housed at the Prince's Building, at the top of Frederick Street (now the home of the National Academy for the Performing Arts). When the Government Farm moved from St. Clair in 1899, part of the land was reserved as a new home for QRC through the intervention of acting Governor Sir Courtney Knollys (adapted from http://qrc.edu/about). en
dc.description.sponsorship Funding for this project has been provided by Mrs. Irma E. Goldstraw. en
dc.language.iso en en
dc.rights Please contact the Main Library, The University of the West Indies for permission to use the digitized images. wimail@sta.uwi.edu en
dc.subject Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Postcards en
dc.subject [1930] en
dc.subject Cities and towns--Trinidad and Tobago--Port of Spain en
dc.subject Historic buildings--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Columns--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Columns, Concrete--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Capitals (Architecture)--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Windows--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Clocks and watches--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Tower clocks--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Towers--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Architecture--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Architecture--Details en
dc.subject Schools--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject High schools--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Public schools--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Education, Secondary--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Fences--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Palms--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Electric lines--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Overhead electric lines--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Sidewalks--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Pavements--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject Streets--Trinidad and Tobago en
dc.subject.other Magnificent Seven, The (Port of Spain) en
dc.subject.other Queen's Park Savannah (Port of Spain) en
dc.subject.other Queen's Royal College (Trinidad and Tobago) en
dc.title Queen's Royal College, Trinidad en
dc.type Image en


Files in this item

Files Size Format View
Icon GoldF6_92A.pdf 133.9Kb PDF Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search UWISpace


Advanced Search

Browse

My Account